Innovation U is an exciting, educational competition that challenges Wichita area students in Kindergarten through 8th grade to find an innovative and new use for a product to serve a specific purpose. Innovation U contains 3 separate competitions divided by grade; Innovation Challenge (K-2), Innovation Rally (3-5), and Innovation Express (6-8). Each class is asked to pitch their innovation in a creative YouTube video presentation with a maximum length of 3 minutes. Classes cannot be combined as the competition is for single classes only unless it is a permanent class with a combination of grades. Once uploaded to YouTube, along with the other required information, simply type the URL into the space provided on the form "SUBMISSION ENTRIES."
The deadline for the video submissions will be 11:59 PM, February 2nd, 2018.
The winners in each competition level will be announced on February 14th, 2018.
A plastic 2-liter bottle. *Only 2-liter plastic bottles can be used for the final innovated product.
WHAT IS INNOVATION?
Innovation is the action of taking a PRODUCT or SERVICE and making it better, or giving it the ability to help solve a problem that people may have.
For example: When cell-phones first came out they were big, slow, and could only do a small number of things. Over the years, people have taken phones and given them the ability to use the internet, be touch screen, take pictures, and play music. All of these cell phone features are innovations of a phone.
IN THE VIDEO, THE CLASS IS ASKED TO:
- Describe and name their new innovative product.
- Describe how it solves a problem.
- Describe how they could sell/distribute/monetize the product.
- Develop a visual aid of the innovation. This can be in the form of a prototype, using the product that will be revealed on this website, January 5th, 2018 or in the form of a computer generated drawing or hand illustration.
- Maximum 3 minutes in length
- Impress the judges! Have fun!
RULES OF THE COMPETITION
- Classes must submit their videos by 11:59 PM on February 2nd, 2018.
- Maximum video length for presentation pitches is 3 minutes.
- Any number of THE PRODUCT(TBA) can be used to create the innovation idea.
- Other materials such as tape or glue can be utilized, however, the innovative product should be mainly made of 2-liter bottles.
- Submissions must be from a single classroom and not a combination of classes.
- More than one group per class is allowed. Example: A class divides into five groups of five and they all create different innovations. The teacher may submit innovations of all five groups.
- Only one innovation per group is allowed. Example: Team 3 in Mr. Jones' class can only submit one innovation.
- Videos must be submitted by 11:59 PM on February 2nd, 2018.
Each entry will be scored in the following categories:
- Product 25%
- Monetization 25%
- Video Pitch 25%
- Creativity 25%